What would Steinway do

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 5 07:02:25 MST 2007

The brass clad rails aren't as bad as the aluminum rails for just
plain clunky action noise which can take over in pianissimo
playing.  The fine pianos I've encountered use heavy engineered wood
rails to resist dimensional movement with the climate and they have
quiet actions.  The little brass clad rails are rather flexible under
exuberant playing.  There have been instructions posted to couple
them to help stiffen them a little by coupling two rails.  They are
also difficult to get solid alignment on especially when you want to
reduce casting a little.

Andrew Anderson