What would Steinway do

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 5 03:55:07 MST 2007

    The negativity you European guys pick up from us in the States is
    experience-based and documented; it's not some sour-grapes,
    personality-deficit-driven
    or ego-driven thing.

    David Andersen

Hi David.

I have no direct experience (recent) basis on which to pass judgment on
either claims like this, or those making the claims. So I dont. I do
keep my eyes open tho and tho its perhaps not a popular thing to say
here, it is a fact that this particular forum is the only one in which I
hear this kind of thing very often.  And there are even obvious
groupings here.  Not a criticism, just an observation from one who keeps
an open mind.  I do hear indications elsewhere that something is amiss
with Steinway NY... but then I hear lots of things that go in the
opposite direction here.

My point is that hem-hawing here gets so TMMOT low guttural that it
rivals the British house of Commons at its worst, and least effective I
might add.  And, like I said earlier not only does it ofte times come
off rather badly from a public eye perspective... but it strikes me that
its poor tactics as well... that is if one wants to get something done
about it.

Documentation ?  I have not seen any thing here, or very little that
adds up to legal documentation.  Sorry to say so... but just so.  THAT
however... WOULD be a better tactics line to take IMHO.  If these things
are true to the degree some of you say... then ... well... pictures...
real documentation...  are in order.  Otherwise all this by definition
ends up being classified as hearsay, which many readers will intuitively
pick up on. Bang... there went ones own foot.

Another point... I just noticed tacked on to this thread a complaint
about the tubular action rails.  Clearly, and I mean dead on clearly
this is a matter of opinion about what design ideas one likes best.
This has nothing to do with the poor quality claims.  When that part of
the market you are actually trying to reach sees all this put
together... and they do...in their way.... well.. you get my drift.

In anycase.... another point strikes me as true.  IF what you folks are
saying is true to the extent it seems claimed here on Pianotech.  Then
you all neednt worry a bit. No matter that Steinway has achieved a
greater market share then any branch of any industry in history....
such  quality will sooner or later spell "demise".  That of course can
mean either a turnaround.... or a dissapearance.

With respect
Richard Brekne