Private

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 14:20:30 MST 2007

Yeah baby ...action ratio finder.  uh huh
  Dale

OK. I'll stick to just one, steady, measurable difference.  I do a  quick
action ratio check on pretty much every grand piano I come to; American
Steinways have action ratios that are all over the map, with very few below  6.0, and
many above that, which is defective in my view. German Steinways  almost
always have an action ratio of 5.5, 5.6, or 5.7---what I consider to be  ideal, and
should be repeatable in a well-controlled, craft-oriented and led  factory
setting. To me, this is an indication, a clue, and could be revealing  of many
other such disparities...each piano technician has to make their own
judgement.  The problem is, most American techs have little or no  experience with
German Steinways, and the reverse applies to European and  Asian techs.

The negativity you European guys pick up from us in the States is
experience-based and documented; it's not some sour-grapes,  personality-deficit-driven
or ego-driven thing.

David Andersen

http://www.aol.com.