What would Steinway do

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Mar 3 22:40:57 MST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Allen Wright wrote:
> Are you're referring to approaches to restoration, quality of the
> workmanship, and things like that? I'd be very interested to know
> what you perceive the differences between the two to be.
>
> Thanks,

OK. I'll stick to just one, steady, measurable difference.  I do a
quick action ratio check on pretty much every grand piano I come to;
American Steinways have action ratios that are all over the map, with
very few below 6.0, and many above that, which is defective in my
view. German Steinways almost always have an action ratio of 5.5,
5.6, or 5.7---what I consider to be ideal, and should be repeatable
in a well-controlled, craft-oriented and led factory setting. To me,
this is an indication, a clue, and could be revealing of many other
such disparities...each piano technician has to make their own
judgement.  The problem is, most American techs have little or no
experience with German Steinways, and the reverse applies to European
and Asian techs.

The negativity you European guys pick up from us in the States is
experience-based and documented; it's not some sour-grapes,
personality-deficit-driven or ego-driven thing.

David Andersen