Seasonal pitch change: was -- Long term pitch drop, was: Type O

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 3 19:54:40 MST 2007

> Ron:
>
> Certainly the dimensional changes you suggest would create a pitch
> difference, but what about the not so inconsequential friction systems
> of the front scale: bearing cloth, counterbearing bar, agraffe or capo,
> etc.

The friction levels of the front scale are usually just that -
relatively inconsequential compared to that at the bridge.

>Would the "couple of thousandths" translate into real pitch change
> in the speaking length?

It does for me. Do the math, and decide for yourself.

>Would it account for the predominantly middle
> range changes we experience?

Which predominantly middle range changes are these? I see low
tenor, killer octave, and high treble changes in varying
degrees, typically in that order, though the high treble
sometimes surprises me in some pianos. The middle range is
relatively stable in comparison.

>Would it explain bearing measurement shifts
> after major pitch change?

What bearing measurement changes have you recorded, in what
sections of the scale, with (how) major pitch changes? It's
about time someone produced something of substance to support
this premise.

I'd love to hear Jim Ellis chime in on this.

> Paul

Then you'd better cross post to Caut. He doesn't read Pianotech.
Ron N