mutes

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:24:31 MST 2007

Yesterday I did 4 out of 5 tunings with two mutes, except I tuned the
temperament octave with a strip mute and one in the bass (after tuning the
unisons in the middle) . It's always amazing how much better a piano sounds
this way. Same tuning style, and same octave stretch as with a strip mute,
but it's just noticeably clearer and much more musical. I think some of it
is that the single mutes (wide ones) are more effective at muting than a
strip mute. So you have less junk to filter out. And the "Virgil effect."

Like you, I tune the treble with pure to near-pure P12s. To my ear, it's
what the piano calls for.

In the past, it has taken me about 1.2 - 1.5 hours to tune this way, but
with these it was an hour or less (except for a Steinway M that had some
falseness). Interesting...not sure why except I spent less time testing in
the high treble and more time listening to the single octave. Virgil is
right - there's really just one right place for the high treble when you
have the lower octaves done right.

I also didn't have to correct as many unisons as with a strip mute.

JF