What would Steinway do

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 2 17:52:58 MST 2007

Oh come on Terry.... are you seriously going to reduce all Rons
extensive redesigning work with all the express intent on changing
(improving I'm sure some would say) the performance and sound of this
instrument to so much superficial cosmetics ?  The instrument has
nothing in common at all with a Steinway D outside of its case. Its
Nossamans instrument.  And personally... if I were he I would most
certainly not want anyone calling it a Steinway.  Nor does anyone really
call such a Corvette a Corvette without a very express understanding of
the fact that it really isnt a Corvette at all... its just referred to
thus for convenience... with the qualifier <<modified>> tacked on usually.

Of course there goes a border where a redesign becomes so involved that
the original character of the thing in question becomes something in
itself.  I fail to see why this provokes such fervor.  Its like its
wanted both ways.... its still a Steinway... yet its mine really... but
its still a Steinway... This all gets a bit fantastic at times.

I'll be the first to admit that this same fantastic-ness can go the
other way.  Some of the insistence on <<originality>> is just as of
course ridiculous.  But thats all part of a marketing position.  You are
not Steinway having everybody and their uncle trying to earn unfairly
off your name, copy your inventions, steal your ideas, compete in a
vicious market or the rest of it.  But if you were... I'm pretty darn
sure you, like just about everyone else in just about ever other branch
would find any defense you could to guard your position.  Thats where
this discussion belongs... not all this ...... accusatory stuff.

MHO... and I know clear well I am in the decided minority here... but I
stand by it.

Cheers my friend.
RicB

    I know this has been rehashed many times, but IMHO, Ron N's D at
    Rochester
    is a Steinway. More specifically, it is a modified Steinway.

    Q: What do you call an all-original 1959 Corvette? A: A Corvette.

    Q: What do you call a 1959 Corvette with a '69 302 engine with
    four-bolt-mains, angle plugs, ported and polished valve passages,
    2.02 I&E
    valves,12:1 pistons, 0.610 lift cam, 850 double-pumper dual-feed
    carburetor,
    4.88 12-bolt rear end, etc., etc.? A: A modified Corvette.

    It started life at the factory as a Steinway/Corvette, it is still
    the same
    size and shape as a Steinway/Corvette, the basic frame and structure
    is the
    same, only some of the innerds have been changed and upgraded.

    IMHO, same thing.

    Terry Farrell