Keybed repair

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 1 21:16:48 MST 2007

On 3/1/07, Porritt, David quoth:

>I'm sure Steinway would be happy to take it into their restoration
>facility.
>
>dp

According to the local dealer the piano is not acceptable for
Steinway restoration. Hmmf. Besides, this is an old customer
bordering on a friend, isnt it nice how that develops? In general, I
think I do better work then what I have seen come from the S&S shop
at a cheaper price. However, I have heard recently that the quality
of the factory restoration is much improved. I am ready, as Terry
points out, to go back and check dimensions and square, when I looked
at it I had only tuning tools. Im not stuck on Steinway construction,
I think Dels plywood sounds like a great material, but I think I
might be able to get away with just replacing the treble side like
Terry's Knabe. The worst termite repair I have had was pretty easy to
fix by flowing in epoxy, Ive never seen one that got to the point of
losing a leg or keybed, although I have heard some horror stories.
Thanks all for the advice! Sorry to ramble, all the comments kind a
float around in my brain and rather than issue multiple replies I
tend to stream of consciousness answer all at once.
--
----Dave