What would Steinway do

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 1 19:21:08 MST 2007

Or rather, what would they have done in 1910.

Rebuild customer wants to make sure that his O ends up "authentically
restored".  Worked him through the whole action parts thing, got him to
understand that even with Renner, Abel, Ronsen, whatever, it will still
be a Steinway.  In fact, we managed to settle most of the issues, both
functional and cosmetic.  One I could not answer, though:

Black keytop finish.  How would the factory have dealt with the ebonies
in 1910?  Black dye, or not?  some kind of sealer or topcoat, or just
bare wood?  Any authoritative info on how the factory would have done
his black keys in 1910 would be appreciated.

thanks

Mike