The Acme A1 Temperament

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sat Jun 30 18:21:04 MDT 2007

I agree with Ed - string, wind, or full orchestra, the intervals tend
towards pure intervals.  I call it a kind of "floating" temperament,
as when the ensemble changes key, the intervals adjust to the new
key.  I understand that wind instruments are built with a kind of
tempering build in, but the players work the reed / embouchure to
adjust the pitch as they play.

Heck, the only reason we have temperaments in the first place is
because we can't tune the piano as it is being played like other
instruments do.  Pianists are stuck with what the tuner puts there.

I recall many rehearsals in college when I was accompanying other
instruments, and a big part of the process was their having to learn
to adjust pitches to fit with the piano.

Find a good recording of Beethoven's 9th symphony, and play with your
tuning machine during the slow movement.  It can be very interesting.

Don Mannino