partial answers

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jun 29 11:47:02 MDT 2007

Allan, what an excellent can o' worms your apprentice opens up!

The related questions are 1) the nature of harmonic motion and the harmonic
series and 2) why strings attached at both ends move in a harmonic series
when displaced.  A couple of sites I looked at are

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/string.html
http://www.pass.maths.org.uk/issue12/features/harmonic/index-gifd.html
http://www.spectrummuse.com/harmonics.htm

Whether these get us much further forward on WHY a string moves in a
harmonic series, I am not quite sure....  But, that it DOES move in that way
can of course be easily demonstrated on a piano.  I've just held down A2 on
my piano, and sounded E4 briefly and sharply, and heard the E4 note sound
beautifully from the A2 strings, which can only happen because they are
moving in thirds of their length.  (Also produced nice A3, A4 and E5 notes
from A2).

Best,

David.