Why NOT to polish bass strings.......

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jun 28 18:30:32 MDT 2007

> I do not believe that hardening of the v-bar is as common as you may
> think, nor do I believe that it is particularly desirable.  One
> manufacturer for whom I worked used "termination pieces" to provide a
> harder termination, and I, for one, do not especially care for the tonal
> result.
>
> Frank Emerson

Sounds like that might be Baldwin. I'm not so sure the hard
termination is at fault, but rather the long front duplex the
termination piece defines. Laying in a half round of
appropriate depth to provide a second counter bearing and
effectively shortening the front duplex to 10mm clears up all
the objectionable front termination generated garbage (which
is substantial) and leaves the thing sounding as clean and
pretty as the rest of the piano allows. As a means of tying
the capo to the plate flange for increased stiffness, I think
these were a very good idea just not well implemented.

We'll see (hopefully) what the next ten years brings for this
"fix", but for now, it sounds much more like a piano than it
did originally.

Ron N