Why NOT to polish bass strings.......

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 19:03:27 MDT 2007

I just did an extensive house call on a 1941 Knabe,
5'4". After removing the bass strings from the hitch
pins, and running them through the Defubbomizer, I
took my gray "Scotch-Brite" pad ( or was it 0000 steel
wool ?) and started to polish. But, after the first 2
strings, a "birdie" told me not to! Then I flushed
them with brake part cleaner, hooked them back up, and
pulled to pitch. The 2 I polished were  noticeably
duller in tone. ( So I gave the customer a discount. )
     Was it what I used, or will ANY polishing of bass
strings harm the tone ??? I won't do any more, until
certain.
     Peace,
     Thump