Regulation cheating

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 27 10:04:05 MDT 2007

1. Check to see if the jacks are just slow but physically able to return without adding a lot of sloppy lost motion. Pinning, lubrication, may be required.

2. Are the jacks binding when the keys are "bottoming out"? Have bugs or mice gotten to the front rail punchings, i.e., too much (sounds silly for a spinet but ...) aftertouch?

3. Don't alter the checking unless you know that is the problem or they are not checking correctly now. But short-checking will screw up repetition and can even cause hammer blocking against the strings.

My money would be on center-pin problems in hammers, butts, jacks, whippens .... bent, mislocated, too tight, corroded.

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO