False Beats in the Temperament Section

deanslist deanslist at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 08:30:37 MDT 2007

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be pursuing them shortly with some help. It definitely isn't the ceiling fan.  (I've already learned what that does <G>) From what you all have said and what Dave Campbell said in KC, the consensus is definitely leaning toward loose bridge pins and seating. The only reason I am iffy in tackling it by myself is because of the location.  A good portion of the bridge that I need to get to lies right behind the keybed.

As for tuning with fast beating intervals, at this point I haven't developed the skill yet. My brain handles the slowers ones much better to tune, using the fast ones as checks. The pitch variations on some of these single strings is as wide as 1-2 cents, which means a 4-8 beat variation in this section of the piano. Even with the ETD, it's really tough to figure out where to put it. The upside is now I have had some serious practice at minimizing false beats in unisons.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how much we're able to improve it.

Sara Nash
Associate
Southeastern Pennsylvania