Keep on filing...

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 24 05:38:04 MDT 2007

You might try instead doing a very quick lettoff and then establish a
drop line.  With all else regulated, establishing a drop line for
hammers insures a dead even height, or dead even distance from strings
at drop... or whatever you want to establish. From that point, fine
regulating lettoff by eye is a snap... and the whole process is much
quicker then using measuring tools and diverse jigs.

Cheers
RicB

      My point was that when regulating a straight hammerline from
    samples, varying the let-off point (the hammer "stop") will affect
    aftertouch, which is why I have started to set escapement at a
    consistent height above the keybed, rather than an equal distance
    from each string.

      Your point on adjusting drop with the Spurlock jig is absolutely
    correct,and is a great way to get the simaulteneity of the 2 contact
    points consistent.

      Thanks,

      Scott Nelson