Keep on filing...(picture attached)

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Fri Jun 22 16:21:13 MDT 2007

<G>
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Brekne
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 3:32 PM
  Subject: Keep on filing...(picture attached)

    Just a thought, Should the pinning of the jack be looser than that of the wippen so that  jack's needs are taken care first?
    When Jack is happy!
    Joe Goss RPT
    Mother Goose Tools

  Hi Joe

  This is exactly the kind of point I was talking about when I said.... (more or less) hold on a sec here...  There is no point to simply assuming that repinning the rep - lever forces a change in rep lever tension in the same direction... i.e. increase/decrease  tension and friction.  The point is that you want to end up with all three pins at an appropriate level of friction so as to facilitate the primary function of the rep lever whippen assembly while not creating either too much hammer jump and/or too much key kick.  This also gets into hammer weight and key mass.

  In any case... a change of friction of the rep-lever pin in itself does not re-direct more of the springs force in one or the other direction. And since the end tension of the spring is dependent the whole system and not just this pin.... nor does changing the pin dictate any given change in spring tension.

  Cheers
  RicB