Keep on filing...(picture attached)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jun 21 17:38:04 MDT 2007

I dont think I understand the logic behind this claim.  Whatever
friction there is at the lever pin simply restricts the amount of
movement of the lever for same spring strength.  I suppose more of the
springs energy might be directed to jack return... not really sure about
this either when it comes to it.

The rep lever springs upwards and downwards with equal strength
regardless of the tightness of the pinning. The only thing that can
change the relative pressure between up and down would be a
repositioning of the pin... i.e. changing its leverage moment.

I would suspect, that 8-10 grams works well because it fits well with
the multi-tasking between the rep spring and other related parts... ie
jack return, hammer lift, appropriate friction levels for centers
belonging to these...etc.

Cheers
RicB

    Pinning the repetition lever to 8 grams restricts the jumpiness of the
    hammer on key release and directs more of the spring's energy into
    returning the key.  When I'm doing a very careful regulation of a
    performance piano (where "it's so even" is the compliment I want to
    hear) I use an 8-gram weight I have that has a hole in the middle.  If I
    put that weight on the screw that regulates the rep. lever's height (the
    short end of the rep. lever) I want the pinning tight enough that it
    holds the weight.  When I place it on the drop screw pad (the longer end
    of the rep. lever) I want the lever to gently fall.

    dp