Keep on filing...

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 08:54:23 MDT 2007

Danilo,
With the repetition at rest and the hammers
rotated up and out of the way, the jack top
should be below the yoke of the
balancier.  Ideally not much below.  This is
necessary lost motion in order to permit the jack
to re-set.  You can check by using a card and
dragging it over the yoke.  If the card catches
on the jack, the jack is too high.
A Steinway regulation method to check this when
the hammer is resting on the repetitions is to
press the jack tender down, let go and the jack
should reset winking the hammer a little.  If the
hammer doesn't wink, you have more lost motion
then necessary.  If the jack cannot reset consistently, you don't have enough.

I like to regulate drop close to the strings and
I like to have drop and let-off coincide.  This
does make the instruments more weather sensitive
as a 1 - 1.5 mil drop is not much where humidity
related wood movement is concerned.  Of-course
the instruments that get that kind of regulation
are usually climate controlled here.

This requires a definite but slow rise of the
hammer with the repetition spring.  Springs are
not easy to get just so and you will have to
develop the skill of setting them by repeated
effort until you start getting the result you
want.  You want to be able to avoid
bubbling/double-striking which occurs when
balancier pinning is too loose and or when the spring is too strong.

It is important to note that many action
adjustments are interactive with other
adjustments.  That is, when you change one, the
other is thrown out.  On a new piano or when an
action is worn, I will go through several times
adjusting and readjusting as things get closer to
ideal.  You may want to obtain an action
regulation book that takes you through the steps
in order of greatest efficiency.  Yamaha sells a
video from their website on action
adjustments.  I recommend it.  There are some
differences in approach between instruments,
Steinway follows a slightly different procedure
for example, but the overall illustration is
worth becoming familiar with visually.

Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano