Bechstein sound unchanged?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Jun 16 07:21:26 MDT 2007

from you Terry?- it's on my work PC), here are some pics.

I listended carefully to the sound across the transtion to covered strings
in the tenor and across the tenor/bass break.  It's very even and hard to
detect.

It cost me something to get these pics!  I' intended to take them in the
mornng as I had to go at just after 8a.m. to tune the Steinway B (being used
that morning to accompany some children applying for a music scholarship),
but ran out of time, so went back later in the day to take the pics (The
accompanist arrived in the morning and said how pleased she was with the
Steinway, which was nice).

The Bechstein is one of their "Pro Bechstein ArsNova" upright designs, quite
elegant, you can see it on their website (bechstein.de).  Now, I had never
previosuly had occasion to remove the bottom door.  As the top door is held
by plastic hasps, and as the back of the fall is held in place by plastic
clips snapping onto plastic dowels, I hope I can be forgiven for assuming
that the bottom door too was secured by similar plastic "snap" clips on
dowels.  I tried to feel, but there was very little space between the top
edge of the bottom door, and the underside of the keybed, so it was
impossible to feel accurately. Going on the presumption that they were
plastic clips. I tugeed firmly, as one has to do for those, only to feel the
left side come away, and to find that the bottom doer simply *hangs* in
place , having wooden "hooks" resting on dowels.  I pulled off the two
hooks!  Along with coin-sized bits of black acrylic attached to a wafer of
cheap-looking MDF board.  Sigh.  Naturally, I didn't have my adhesives case
in the car, so had to go home and get it, return, glue and clamp the broken
parts, and wait.  Longer crews weren't an option as they would have gone
right through.   So, if you encounter one of these pianos, what you are
SUPPOSED to do, is to gently LIFT, from the cutout arc around the pedals!

As can be seen, Terry, the long bridge is indeed hockey-stick shaped, but
there is no additional transition bridge.  I can email pics at higher
resolution if desired.

Best regards,

David.