Steam treating hard hammers

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Jun 15 15:56:24 MDT 2007

Hi Wayne
 BTW.
   I wasn't trying to be smart or insensitive in my  prior posts.  Wether I
sell a piano or rebuild one I am in the same spot as  you are if the client
isn't happy with the voicing.  In fact I have on  several occasions,
at my expense changed hammers or traveled some distance to  rectify
voicing/other issues rather than cross swords with a client.  I  want em happy ASAP.
    I have also recommended hammer transplants  in some pianos as new as 2
years old.ie.Kawai,Yamaha Samick ,Schafers,Baldwins.  I mean the factories are
sometimes applying defective hammers.  It  happens.
    In the past I've done the heroic methods to  create sound but if it
doesn't work it doesn't . I am keenly aware of the  conditions of hammers & there
densities due to hard knocks/experience.   I'm at a place where I just have  a
little less patience for diddling with  a boat that's sinking.  Might as well
swim & bail.
  That's all
  Hope it works out.....quickly
  Dale

No, the piano is not POS. We have been  selling pianos from China for about
10 years and have bought from different  factories. At first we had pianos from
1 factory that were POS but this piano  and others from 2 other factories are
better quality. Just this one seem to  have problems with the hammers. I will
not tell my customer through the thing  out, the piano was bought as an
anniversary present by her husband from our  store. I just trying to make things
right for this customer, if necessary we  may have to change hammers or give her
another piano. I 'm trying fix the  problem before we have to go to that
route.

Wayne

Wayne Walker
Piano Tuner /  Technician