brightening a Yamaha

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 14 10:58:15 MDT 2007

Alan,
You can start by making sure the hammers fit the strings well and
then polishing with high (400-600 grit) grit paper.  If that isn't
enough ironing will get more clang.  If that isn't quite the
direction he wants, try papering everything off and then spraying the
hammer tips with shellac (lightly) and see how he likes that.  You
can brush it off if he doesn't and it breaks up as the hammer plays
in so overshooting your voicing goal long-term is less of an issue.

Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano