The Beauty of the Open-Faced Pinblock

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed Jun 13 19:38:32 MDT 2007

It's called a soundboard cutoff bar. (There are other names, but that is the one
I use). It is not located in the bass section, it is located in the front left
corner of the soundboard area. The bass section is toward the back of the piano
in the area around the bass bridge.

The cutoff bar, along with the filler block (which I call the "fish" due to its
shape) used along the inner rim up in the treble area, limit the size of the
soundboard, making it more function somewhat more efficiently.

Much has been written about these soundboard shaping devices on Pianotech. You
might check the archives. As well, I've been discussing them and illustrating
them in my classes and seminars for some thirty years now. I realize these are
generally presented some distance from your home, still, if you find yourself in
an area where one is being presented you might find it worthwhile.

Del

  _____