Updated Bylaws Report for those of you who are delegates

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jun 13 11:43:47 MDT 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 7:53 AM, Ron Berry wrote:

> I received an updated Bylaws report which I have posted on the web.
> There
> is a directory of late and updated submissions at
> http://www.ptg.org/members/docs/2007/Council/
>
> ron

As an apparently endangered and, in some quarters, reviled
"associate," I'm not sure if I can post to, or go on, PTG-L.

Let's see: 4,300 members of PTG; less than 400 at the National
Convention; to me, if I was active and "owned-in" to  an
organization's well-being, those numbers suck. And reveal some deep
disconnect between leadership and membership. And now a portion of
our membership is actively pursuing more judgement, more exclusion.

Makes me feel respected and appreciated. (Irony alert.)

The RPT test standards, IMO, are ridiculously low. I have followed
RPTs and their work for 25 years. The good ones are awesome, and
deeply inspirational to me---but that's several.  The others---the
majority---are just tune & run guys, with no real interest in piano
service.

Inspiration feels vastly different than exclusion and judgement.

This is offered with humility; I am one of a big (relative to our
discussion---in the hundreds) number of gifted and hard-working men
and women who work on some of the greatest pianos in the world on a
daily basis, for some of the greatest artists that ever lived---and
have made a decision, for whatever considered and no doubt
intentional reason, to either not use or not pursue the RPT
designation. If I was leading a non-profit service organization based
on a highly personalized, difficult, and prized skillset---
maintaining great pianos at their highest level---I would literally
fall over myself extending hands to those of our profession who have
risen to the top of their game, whether members or not. I would
welcome and treasure their real-world, hard-won input. I would ask
them, in an atmosphere of collegiality, equality, and respect, why
they have chosen not to support our fantastic PTG and its best-in-the-
world continuing education programs. I would ask them what we can do
as a Guild to feel like and be an organization that attracts more
than 6 or 7% of its total membership to its national conference.

This is written and sent with respect and gratitude that PTG exists
and that it provides me with an excellent teaching platform, among
many other tangible and ethereal benefits; we have a sacred
obligation to pass on our hard-won skills to the next generation. I
write this because I love our work and our Guild, and as a positive
force, willing to work towards understanding and unafraid of genuine,
authentic, and respectful communication, confrontation, and
resolution---another " highly personalized, difficult, and prized
skillset...."

My best to you----and see some of you in Kansas City. Please feel
free to buttonhole me about this subject.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA