Ebony bridge caps

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 11 08:16:50 MDT 2007

Dale,

Thanks!
Yes, it is a "feature" already.  I am using German plated bridge pins right now and think you are correct about an improvement in sound.  I haven't seen Ron O. on the list for a while, but I recall a thread about his having experimented with various bridge pin materials and why, and what the results are.  He also turned me on to electroplated agraffes.

Terry did this bridge body for me, so, hopefully he will pop up with an answer as to where he purchased the ebony.
I have some here that I'm experimenting with for caps, and the treble bar which I purchased from a local hardwood store.  We're also capping the ends of the keyframes with ebony.  Looks very cool, and the ebony holds up much better on the rest and the spring than the spruce end grain.
                Michael C. Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

From: Erwinspiano at aol.comDate: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:04:42 -0400Subject: Re: Ebony bridge capsTo: pianotech at ptg.org

  Michael
  Just got back from the beach & followed up ion this thread.  Beautiful bridge.
   Speaking of harder & denser materials I have switched to the German bridge pins from piano tech.  They are plated & seem harder. They are slightly different sizes than the copper ones. I have not bent over any pins since switching to the German pins &  they're "shiny & sparkly" . I'm sure it could be a feature! grin.
  I don't grind off the tops any more as with the copper.  Looks neat & tidy & I swear the sound is cleaner.  I admit that observation is highly subjective.
  Where does one by decent ebony?
  Thanks
  Dale
Here is a picture of the bridge in 220003.  The cap on the high end is hornbeam, the rest is maple.  You can see the exposed ebony laminations from the undercut section.  The ebony treble molding/cut off piece is blind doweled into the belly rail (thought I would mention that so I don't get questions from people, like, "where's the screws in the treble piece thingy?").
                Michael C. Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

See what's free at AOL.com.