Tuning Softly - was Re: Sanderson Accu-tuner

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 13:56:40 MDT 2007

I use fairly hard test blows for all pianos. I'm talking about playing
softly while manipulating the lever.

I'm a believer in making a piano stable. Just not a believer that it has to
be done by hurting my ears, hands, and other joints. :-)  The way I see it,
if I'm standing up at a piano, and smacking it from that position, it's
reasonable to assume that no pianist is going to hit harder than that. If
they do, that's piano abuse, and they can have their unstable piano then. I
just don't see how they can routinely play harder than most tuners do for
test blows, and still have any finger dexterity left.

Therefore, I'm adopting the view that my hands, elbows, and shoulders are
more important than murderously ferocious test blows. It just ain't worth
it. Particularly when stability comes from lever technique, based on how
close the piano was to pitch before the fine tuning. Soft, rapid playing
while tuning will cause the string to move just as well as moderately hard
or hard playing while tuning. IMO, of course. YMMV, as they say.  :-)

I have also used that hammershank technique I mentioned a while back. It
never felt so natural, and wasn't as quick as a test blow, but I probably
wasn't completely used to it. Works, though, and I might try it again.

JF