Sanderson Accu-tuner

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 21:57:42 MDT 2007

I, too, learned to tune strictly by ear and continued to do so for my first ten years.  Then, out of practical necessity, I added ETDs to the picture and became a "hybrid tuner" (a term you will hear when you attend Richard Davenport and Mitch Kiel's excellent tuning class in Kansas City).  I guess that puts me in the "Foote/Love" school.  David Andersen is, of course and as usual, right on target with all of his comments.  At the end of the day, I believe that you have to know what a really beautifully tuned piano sounds like and how to make it that way by yourself.  If you don't, tuning purely by eye with any of the machines won't get you there .

Alan Eder