removing spinet action?

Noah Haverkamp noahhaverkamp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 10:41:25 MDT 2007

I have removed my Winter spinet action many times without difficulty.
But this other action I am working on now - I can't figure it out. It
says Pratt-Read, and is like the thayer inverted sticker action in
that it has a sticker flange rail, and capstans, But it has metal
lifter wires which drop down beside the key and attach to the wippen
with a screw-grommet at the bottom. I removed the sticker flange
rail, and unscrewed the 3 action bracket bolts i could find (one
above the action, 2 below the keybed area on the inside side of the
case) as well as a screw on each side underneath the keybed i guess.
plus i took out a couple or screws from behind the keys, which you
had to remove a key impeding its accessibility. But i can't get the
thing out. the top of the lifter wires remove from the sticker tongue
easily enough. but do i need to unscrew each grommet under the
wippens? if not it looks like the lifter wires will have to drop down
below the keys to get them out of the way, if i remember correctly.
   I don't know if i explained this clearly at all or not. Anyone?
There is no name on the case anywhere but the plate says Hardman
Peck. Serial # 150065

Noah Haverkamp
Know-a Piano
http://www.knowapiano.com
347-308-0094

"Your piano tuning is really wonderful. That's what i was looking for for a long time. You're keeping my piano alive! Great job!" -Nataliya, Composer and Performer