Recycling/re-using bass string copper?

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 21:13:50 MDT 2007

At 07:36 PM 6/6/2007, Dave Stahl wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>Does anyone know of someone who recycles the metal from dead piano
>strings?B I have a couple of sets of bass strings that I've been
>trying to figure out what to do with.B I hate to see them go in the trash.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave,

I don't know what recycling facilities you guys have in Santa Clara
County, but here in Berkeley they do take metal for recycling. So I
just collect all my old strings, tuning pins, etc. in a bin and every
few stringing jobs take a run to the Berkeley recycling facility and
dump it all in their Metals bin. You might want to check around some
of the Peninsula towns and see if one of them has a recycling
drop-off  that takes metals for recycling. In Berkeley you don't need
to be a resident to use the drop off - but that's a bit too far for
you to haul your old bass strings...

Israel Stein