future technicians

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Jun 4 11:16:12 MDT 2007

Dale, I meant to say that courses had substantially FALLEN, not
substantially FINISHED, in the UK.  Probably you realised that.

Your observations on the history of the American piano scene in contrast to
the UK are interesting, and chime very much with what I was recently
re-reading in Cyril Erlich's book "The Piano, A History".  A very good book,
for those with an interest in the development of the industry throughout the
world.

For thirty years we had an American Naval base here in the River Clyde,
across the river from where I live, so I did tune American pianos from time
to time, which was nice.  Otherwise, this place is awash with
hundred-year-old English cottage industry pianos that were shoddy when they
were brand new.

Best wishes,

David.