future technicians

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Jun 4 07:33:37 MDT 2007

Hi David
  Thanks you for the kind words.
  It's unfortunate the condition you describe.  In my  prior post It may seem
as thought I've had my head in the sand concerning  industry trends & reduced
interest in pianos as evidenced by world wide  piano production being down.
However it doesn't seem to have affected the  Chinese investment in piano
plants.
  I think the American piano environment is far different  as well as larger
than the UK which probably accounts for the differing anomaly  you experience
there.
  We Yanks have had the advantage of hundreds of well made  American pianos
in our culture. Prior to the advanced transportation system  Every region had
it's own favorite maker as it wasn't all that desirable  to ship such a heavy
object long distances.  Never the less they were  shipped & even out in Calif.
we have an amazing number & varity of  makers avaible to work on & we are far
from the East coast plants that  produced them.
  Here in the states I have witnessed the advance of  technology in
parts,training/knowledge & craft net working completely  unthinkable 15 to 20 years ago.
  I like your attitude.  It will be the thing that  makes change if a change
can be made.
  kindest regards
  Dale Erwin

Dale,  it's great to hear how good Dennis's course was!   That's wonderful!

The provision of piano tuning and technology courses  has finished
substantially in the UK in the last two decades.

In  the 1980's, a couple of colleges started brand new courses - in Leeds and

in Wales, but they didn't last long.  The long-established course in
Edinburgh also folded.  Now there are only three options.  There  is the
facility for the visually impaired at Hereford, the course at what  used to
be called the London College of Furniture, and the course at
Newark-On-Trent.  And that's it.  This loss of courses must  basically be due
to lack of demand - colleges do not "pull" courses which  are attracting good
numbers.

In turn, then, why did the number of  applicants drop?  I don't know. Perhaps
there is a problem with the  status of the trade/profession in the UK, and in
addition, the perception  of young people about careers may have altered over
the years.

I  have not hitherto sought schools business, but there is one high school
where I tune, and another I did recently. I have found it interesting  that,
when I have attempted to engage teachers in  conversation, they  have looked
at me as if the geranium spoke!  I found this recently in  the new school as
well as in the one I usually do. Perhaps high school  teachers are too
trodden down and harassed to converse, or perhaps they  see piano tuners as
menials unworthy of civilized chat.  This amuses  me, because I am a college
teacher myself, registered with the same  professional bodies as the
schoolteachers, and I get paid about $3500 more  per annum than
schoolteachers at the same grade!  So when they won't  talk to me, I take
comfort in that.....

I do think that the  profession is not highly esteemed in the UK, and I think
it would be hard  to sell youngsters on the idea of a career in piano tuning
and  servicing.  I really don't know what the answer is in  Britain.

Best wishes,

David.