kneading hammers

Rupert Williams obliquestrung at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 07:18:12 MDT 2007

My original query cited Howe's book, which turns out
to be the Revised 3rd edition of 1963 (not 1948 when
it was first published - sorry about that).

On p.61 he says:
   "Another method of softening the hammers has proved
   satisfactory: Take a pair of gas-pliers and squeeze
   the felt in both directions alternately: in other
   words, knead it with the pliers".

So far this idea of alternate directions has not been
mentioned by contributors.

( The idea that the tone can also be strengthened is
intriguing me (see below).  Seeing most contributors
have said avoid squeezing the tip, it would seem that
they would have strengthened the tone rather than
mellow it by squeezing elsewhere.  Most contributors
have said squeezing is like a lot of needling - which
always softens does it not? )

I am now very interested in what exactly happens to
the
fibers of felt when it is needled / squeezed.

I did do a gentle lateral pliers squeezing on my old
Bluthner upright, and have done no permanent damage:
in fact, after a few weeks playing it sounds much
better to me, although it was a bit muffled
immediately afterwards.  Further experiments will be
confined to my wife's spinnette!

Rupert