Ebony bridge caps

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:37:47 MDT 2007

Hi all,

I want to experiment with using ebony bridge caps in the top section of the treble in my pianos.

I have taken sample pieces of ebony and attempted to notch them by hand with disastrous results. Ebony is so hard and brittle that it wants to chip and split, even with the sharpest of chisels and shallow cuts.  I've approached it from the top down and by coming in from the side.  The side cutting method works well with Hornbeam, but doesn't seem to do well with the harder ebony. Do any of you master woodworkers have any suggestions (short of not using ebony 8-)  )?

I know that most of the companies who are using ebony caps have machine notching devices.  I prefer doing things by hand, especially bridge work, because I'm concerned about controlling the accuracy of a router type notching machine.  But if anyone has successfully made their own "notching machine" and would be willing to share their experiences and/or has plans for such a devise, I would welcome any comments or advice.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
                Michael C. Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com