Fwd: Do you play piano?

JIMRPT at aol.com JIMRPT at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 18:41:49 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/2/07 12:48:55 PM, annie at allthingspiano.com writes:

"And what I meant was that the difference between a piano technician and a
piano tooner is exactly that ability to reach beyond personal experience and
do extra-ordinatry work."

Annie there is a difference between a piano 'tuner' and a piano
'tooner'......
A tuner tunes pianos to acceptable standards whereas a 'tooner' does not, for
whatever reasons. "Tooner" is usually used as a derogatory term but I'm sure
you didn't mean it in that manner.

> "That's the part I don't get:  how do you know whether the piano works
> correctly if you can't play it?  Maybe that's one distinction between a
> "tuner" and a "technician"."

As a 'tuner' who does 'not' play I'm not sure that I undertand where your
source of confusion comes from about knowing when a piano works correctly or not.
  As the things we listen for while tuning are vastly different than the
things we listen to when the piano is being played I don't see the connection.

 Is it possible that being a bonafide 'playing' 'technician' is detrimental
to the customer??.....after all don't we bring our own notions of 'correct'
into play when we decide what to do to a certain piano or certain note...such as
sic:' I want it to feel this way when the customer wants something different
but your experience in playing will not let you listen to the customer. :-)
{that is a generic we/you and not a you Annie}
 Wheras a 'non-playing tuner will listen more closely to the customer without
any preconceived notions as to 'right and wrong' simply because they need to
listen closer ??

 Phil's response was right on target as to the airplane mechanic who works on
your plane while not being able to fly one was right on target. There are
principles involved in flight as well as pianos that do not depend on the end use
of the product...if these principles are adhered to then the end result will
be more than acceptable............
Some food for thought Annie...we allow our members to reach the highest
recognition level in PTG after having passed at an 80% level on all their
tests...would you feel comfortable flying in an airplane that a mechanic had performed
his/her duties at an 80% level? :-)

 So I suppose what I am saying thar whether we play or not if we listen to
the customer, as Les pointed out, and satisfy their desires as best we can than
isn't that what being a technician/tuner is all about?
My Thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.