removing soundboard intact

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 1 20:16:27 MDT 2007

What year Everett? I have an old one - about 1900 - it is very well
constructed.

A crack in a solid bridge - if you are not rescaling (why aren't you doing
that?) - is likely no big deal. A good epoxy repair can make that bridge as
good as new - IMHO - no need to duplicate a cracked/broken bridge. Of course
if you want to improve the string scale (which I highly encourage you to
do), then sure, let's make you a new bridge - and likely a transition
bridge. If you remove the bridge from the piano (please don't try to do
that!!!), I or others could recap it for you. Capping a bridge is not very
difficult at all - I highly encourage you to take a shot at it.

My basic recommendation would be to do either one of two things. Leave the
bridge on the soundboard, epoxy repair the bridge and re-cap it OR replace
the bridge because you are incorporating a new string scale with transition
bridge, etc.

As to the soundboard. A few cracks? What's that got to do with soundboard
function? What kind of crown does it have? What are the string bearing data?
Is there a prominent killer octave? Does the piano have decent power? What's
the treble like (volume & sustain)? What's the transition from tenor to bass
like?

Terry Farrell