kneading hammers

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jun 1 15:16:05 MDT 2007

Hi Joe,

I love your metaphor of sneaking up on the desired result!

Yes, pliers being more controllable is what I imagined.  The one and only
time I used them on a whole set, I was very pleased with the rapid result.
It was just what was required.  And I think using pliers you would get more
of a "feel" for the right pressure than with the Vise-Grip.  But I've not
tried the Vise-Grip so I can't say.

Does anyone else use an ordinary domestic iron for hammers?  I have often
found that very effective after hammer filing, especially on older birdcage
actions.  You can get a quantum leap in tone quality by a quick refacing of
deeply grooved hammers and a quick ironing, and it gives the client a
chuckle when you ask for the iron!  I am not here talking of subtle voicing
work on high quality pianos of course.

Best,

David.

"Like most skills used in piano repair/work there is a learning curve.
Starting in the tenor of most spinnettes is a good place to start.
Yah can't hurt anything and will quickly get a feel for the tool.
IMHO Pliers are the more controlable tool to use.
Not every hammer is the same and it is best to sneak
up on the result wanted rather than over do it.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools"