Bass string scaling question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jun 1 14:53:39 MDT 2007

> One can concentrate on tension,
> inharmonicity or what Robert's calls the "Z" factor or loudness, or some
> combination with varying emphases.  On most existing scales you are forced
> to compromise something as a smooth curve on all three is difficult, if not
> impossible to achieve.

When you can put bridges where you want them, smoothing these
three curves is not a problem. A fourth factor, of break%, can
complicate things if you want to minimize break% jumps at
scale transitions.

>Of course, it may not even be desirable.   And there
> is yet another issue which doesn't seem to be included in these calculations
> which is to account for the balance between fundamental and upper partials
> as you transition from trichord to bichord to monochord.

Keeping an eye on core diameters and break% seems to give
better results than found in most original scales.

> Where would your
> emphasis be for creating seamless transitions and balance.  Anyone else
> please feel free to offer your thoughts if you care to.
>
> David Love

My priorities for smoothing breaks are tension and Z first,
then inharmonicity, then break%. Break% and plain wire to
wrapped core diameters at scale transitions are useful for
determining bridge location.
Ron N