future technicians

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jun 1 13:51:03 MDT 2007

>>In a general way this thread perhaps opens up the topic of the role of
tuner as educator.  We OUGHT to be passionate advocates of the piano and its
technology, oughtn't we?

I've had opportunity a few times to go into elementary schools and give a
little talk on piano construction and various aspects of my job. It was fun
and the kids seemed to enjoy it. One of the things I do is put a finger on
the various nodes of a bass string to demonstrate the different harmonics.
I'll also put the hammer on a pin and make it go way out of tune, then bring
it back into tune while playing the note. That gives them the dramatic demo
of what I listen for while tuning. I'll pull the action, pull a keystick,
basically show them that it isn't just a magic box that produces sound, but
a mechanical device with  parts that work together.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802