History and Development of the Sostenuto system

Barrie Heaton piano at a440.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 14:17:56 MDT 2007

In message <667a53d8.7dea.4a0e.97f6.17c270b50817 at aol.com>,
PAULREVENKOJONES <paulrevenkojones at aol.com> writes

>A little help please. I'm wishing to find  resources for researching the history
>and development of the sostenuto system both technically, and in regard to
>the music that was written, inspired, made possible, by its development, and
>the changes in composition that were the result. Men, Women, and Pianos is
>helpful but limited. If you have other resources you might point me at, I'd
>appreciate it.

1853
    Claude Montal one of the first blind piano tuners in France . He
exhibited the sostenuto pedal, which Steinway bought. A monograph
written by Montal in Paris in 1856, entitled "L'Art d'accorder soi-meme
son piano," described his invention.

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/