Munck open-face pinblock - two parts?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jul 28 02:43:33 MDT 2007

Most likely a wedge glued-on the front of the main on-piece pinblock. Don't
know why there wouldn't be a bolt in the bass - looks like there is room for
one - maybe no backpost there?

I just tuned a fabulous (worn out, but otherwise fabulous) 1902 Emmerson
upright - open faced block with the small diameter rod set in wood as the
upper termination in the plain wire section. The long bridge has no hockey
stick at all and it has a transition bridge. The tuning feel was
exceptional - the smallest nudge (actual turn) of the tuning pin would
result in the smallest controllable change in string pitch - no flagpoling,
no delay, no bending pins, no nothing - tiny bit of force applied with lever
turned the pin a tiny bit and changed the pitch a controllable tiny bit -
the best tuning piano I have ever tuned.

Unfortunately the strings kept breaking while trying to raise the pitch 3
half-steps up to standard pitch (which the owner definitely wanted - she is
a flute player). So the piano is available for free - beautiful fancy case,
super-nice ivories, four string-scale-section plate, and overall the piano
is in unusually good condition for its age. It would be a shame to let this
one go to the dump - I have two old Steiway uprights and this piano has way
more potential than them. Anyone?

Terry Farrell
Tampa Bay, Florida