hammer-shank glue joint

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 24 15:58:11 MDT 2007

>  >...what glue was used to install the hammers? I somehow suspect it
> wasn't hot hide...
>
> I just reset about 75 notes on a grand which had new hammers
> installed with hot hide glue about 7 years ago.  I reglued them
> with Bolduc's Wood Glue which I use exclusively now for hammers
> since I have experienced hot hide failure when using distilled or tap
> water and premium glue crystals.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

The only time I've seen hot hide glue fail is when the
installer scraped it off of the shank with the sharp edge of
the hammer bore hole. Countersink the hole edge before
installing, and glue is funneled into the joint instead of
being squeegeed off. Do this on a reasonably close fitting
joint, apply glue to both surfaces, leave a decent glue
collar, and you don't get glue failures.

Ron N