hammer-shank glue joint

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 24 13:08:11 MDT 2007

> Today I looked at a piano that has received new
> hammers from another shop because the owner asked me
> to come and evaluate it.  They are disappointed with
> the lack of power that the piano has.
>
> It really needs a quality complete rebuilding job but,
> that's a very unlikely option for this owner.  One of
> the major problems is the very soft hammers.  Another
> is the weak glue joint between the hammer and the
> shank.  There is no glue collar and you cam feel the
> looseness of the joint as you wiggle it.
>
> I thought about squirting the area with thin CA.  I
> don't know if that will really penetrate enough or if
> the hammer needs to come off.  I could also add a
> little glue collar for reinforcement.  This may
> eliminate the wiggle but, would it add the stiffness
> needed on the inside where the two largest surfaces
> connect?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Bob Hull

Ugly.

What are the odds of getting any positive action from the
perpetrator of the hammer job? If there is any hope at all, he
should get first redemption courtesy. If that fails and you're
stuck with it, what glue was used to install the hammers? I
somehow suspect it wasn't hot hide, but I ask anyway. Also,
what brand of hammers? All things considered, did you check
strike points? If they're off, you have a good excuse to pop
off the hammers. How is the rest of the job - weigh off,
traveling, taper, tail arc, clearance, etc?

CA might work, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it, and the
hammers are still too soft (and/or the board too dead).

Very ugly.
Ron N