Defending your tuning

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 11:33:38 MDT 2007

Diane,

Hmmmm, this particular fellow was in his early 30's and playing in the local
professional symphony, which is quite good. Knowing that the oboe, or other
wind instruments are not likely to be playing sharper as one went higher
(unless of course it was required for some reason such as playing with a
piano, LOL), it seemed to me that the most plausible explanation for this
particular case was that  the man's listening had become well trained by his
playing oboe and that the piano was going to sound too sharp for him in that
limited range because of inharmonicity related stretching.

Now, why that effect, if true, did not continue on up higher is beyond me.
Except, that it suggests that your suggestion might be true.

I have also had a lot of difficult in distinighsing human conversation in a
noisy environment, such as a party. I have no idea what the reason might be.
Very interesting, though.

Thanks for your reply.

Robin