Downbearing Angles

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Thu Jul 19 19:57:56 MDT 2007

    I have been contemplating the Wixey digital angle guage that Terry
showed pictures of (attached to the Lowell Guage base).  I bought one of
these this afternoon, and was wondering:  Is there a preferred downbearing
angle?  I am working on a Baldwin R, the plate has been refinished.  You can
still see where the aliquot bars went, kind of, but I was wondering if I
could use the guage to tweak the downbearing by moving the aliquots?   I
know ideally that the bearing would be equal, front and rear, but ideal this
may not be.  So, is there an ideal angle that you all shoot for?
    I think that this is not the intent of the aliquots, but couldn't I move
them around to accomplish some slight bearing changes?  Input requested!!
Clark A. Sprague, RPT