Grand Let-Off Rail Conversion

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 18:24:00 MDT 2007

I hadn't seen this before and was wondering if anyone converts those hard-to-get-at let-off rails on some grand actions (like on an upright - but the loop screw top that you adjust is jammed right under the hammer rail) to a modern Yamaha-type arrangement.

This is the 1890s Knabe action that I've been working on lately. The adjustment screws in the old let-off rail were corroded/frozen in place, so I would have had to have made new rails anyway. This conversion wasn't very difficult - just the one little strip of maple was added to the bottom of the hammer rail. The only challenge was measuring to be sure to locate the row of let-off dowels so that they were centered on the jack foot (toe?) at mid-adjustment at let-off. I measured everything about 25 times and seem to have pretty much hit it on the button (pun intended).

Only downside I can see is that when comes time to regulate, I won't have the opportunity to further develop my four-letter-word vocabulary.....  :-(

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano

www.farrellpiano.com
terry at farrellpiano.com