Hammer

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Jul 17 17:53:03 MDT 2007

I rebuilt the action of an 1881 Steinway upright 15+ years ago and noted
that the tone in the 5th/6th octaves didn't sound quite like a piano. It
was a spec piano and a prospective buyer decided not to buy it because
of the tone in that area, so I experimented with the strike line on the
advise of a fellow tech. I found that the tone improved if I moved the
first treble hammer up 5/16" from the original position, tapering off to
standard height somewhere in the high treble.

Comparing the ratio of strike distance to speaking length with the same
ratio in a Yamaha U3, I discovered that they were the same. The 5/16"
change was a lucky guess; I like the way Dale arrives at it.

Tom Cole