Janko keyboard

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 08:29:25 MDT 2007

Hi, David!

  This site gets you to the National Music Museum on the University of South Dakota campus in Vermillion SD...there is an upright piano with a Janko keyboard there.  I have seen it, but not played it.  Click on the "virtual tour" and look for the Lewiston gallery...it should be listed and is pictured there.  It seems that the Janko keyboard was set up in similar fashion to "button box" accordions, with arpeggios of various chords played by moving diagonally across the keyboard, but I'm not an expert on that subject...others will likely chime in with the correct information!

  Cheers!

  http://www.usd.edu/smm/

It seems that a total of 64 or fewer Emanuel Moor double-keyboard   pianos   were ever made.  A table in Herbert Shead's book gives the following   figures, which he suggests may actually be a little on the high side:    10 Concert Grands, 28 Short Grands, 17 Uprights.    The biggest number, 22 in all, was made by Pleyel.  Steinway only ever   made   the one.    Best,    David.    P.S. Has anyone ever seen, or played, a piano with a Janko keyboard?

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net