old sharps

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 14:37:12 MDT 2007

Hi Elwood,

I don't salvage them, but it's not a bad idea. Never know when you
might need a few.

To remove them, you can "whack" them on top of a work bench. Turn the
key so that the mortise is horizontal, strike mainly the ebony portion
(rather than the keystick), and it will come off cleanly. At least it
has for me. I just did this on an old reed organ I'm working on, and
removed 10 or so sharps this way.

All I can say is that the few times I've had to remove an ebony, this
has worked. Use at your own risk. :-)  And if you break the keystick,
you've hit too hard (or it was weak to begin with).

Mike Morvan, what's the official, craftsman way of removing them?

JF