gluing in the new board

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Mon Jul 16 10:14:55 MDT 2007

I am convinced.
Thanks.
Gene
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erwinspiano at aol.com
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 8:08 AM
  Subject: Re: gluing in the new board

    Gene
    I've removed 1 compression frowners failed board & Yes it was  glued in with epoxy. It must be powered off.  In this case the only tool to git er done quickly was a makita 1 inch hand held belt sander with 60 grit,  Wear a mask..the dust is toxic.
    . Epoxy won't scrape off,burn off or chisel off. I've glued in dozens of boards with cold hide glue no problem,.
     My current favorite is Bolduc glue but it takes 2 people to get the glue on quickly. Tight bond extend as Jude & others mentioned is also good but the Bolduc is less thermo plastic than the other aliphatic resin glues mentioned & I do think a hard rim to soundboard  joint is a good thing. After the clamps come off there is a powerful boom which means the glue is probably 90% set up.  WIth hide glue or tight bond it takes about 3 days..so what & check the date on the  bottle. GEt fresh stuff.
    regards
    Dale
    Ok - no epoxy.
    The Garrett Wade Slo-Set - aliphatic resin glue is white - not even close to
    yellow. Looks like PVC_E. Does the color make a difference?
    For slo set I think it would be wise to switch to a more familiar Titebond
    as you and Terry have experience.
    Thank you for the clamping sequence tips, had not considered that.
    Gene