Chickering Grand Features/old vs. new wood

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 10:25:51 MDT 2007

> --- Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>> Antique wood. Yeah, what a hoot.

Accurate and informed as always, I see. Look again.

>     P.S.  Please enlighten all the unfortunate souls
> who are paying pay top dollar for 500 year old church
> beams to make violins from, that they're wasting their
> money. I'm sure they'll be grateful!

What, and screw up a good thing? The alleged folks selling the
alleged beams from the alleged churches are quite thrilled to
take the money of the alleged folks buying these alleged
beams, and the alleged buyers get an appropriately expensive
warm and fuzzy belief to take home in their 50' trailers.
Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. By the way, who are
all these violin builders using old church beams in their
products? I don't recall seeing this advertised anywhere, and
that's surely something worthy of pumping up the marketing
volume on if any of them have produced anything sounding
anything like a violin.

Ron N